Monday, November 14, 2011

11/22/63 - Stephen King



What would you do if you could change a major event in history? Take back the World Trade Center perhaps? Stop the Titanic from Sinking? Save a president?

In the latest Stephen King book, Jake Epping is about to get that chance. His friend Al has found a rabbit house, hidden in his storage closet. When he walks through, it is 1958 - when he walks back its two minutes past the time he left in 2011. He has been using the rabbit hole to buy meat at '58 prices so he can sell burgers cheaper then anywhere else. When he starts to really think about what this Rabbit Hole can do. Or more what it can change, he starts to plan on preventing the Kennedy Assassination. Unfortunately, he gets ill so he he recruits Jake to do it.

Jake travels and more importantly, lives back in '58. Always keeping his eye on Lee Harvey Oswald, always watching for some sign that he acted alone, so that he can make his move. But history doesn't want to be changed. And things have to balance. What we get is an unbelievable story, following Jake through the late 50's and early 60's as he tries to rewrite history.

That is what you could read on any review. What they may not tell you is this: What you get by reading this book, is and interesting perspective into the era of late 50's early 60s. Here is the thing, as someone born many years after 50's I have often wondered how nice it would be to live in a time where things were simpler. After reading this, I will no longer think that. I admit, history did nothing for me. But reading about segregation, woman's rights (should I say place), riots, etc, etc. I realize that it wasn't simpler back then. Everything was starting then. And yes, it would be cool to witness and be a part of that, knowing what I know, but to have lived it. It must have been scary. John Kennedy's death was a tragedy, I will always think that. And I think it more now, after reading this book. I also wish I had paid a bit more attention in history class. Then again, I live in 2011 - thank God for the Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment